Saturday, July 30, 2011

Tangy Summer Gazpacho



The kids and I finally made our way home to DC last week. Getting back in my kitchen and cooking is high on my list of things to do. I even took the time to put together a dinner menu for nearly every day this week involving nothing but the freshest fruits and vegetables. I feel like I have been missing out on so much fine farmer's market produce! Another thing I "missed" while in Colombia was the heat. Its no secret that its horribly hot outside here (especially compared to Medellin's perfectly mild climate). One of my favorite dishes to make in the middle of such heat is summer's best friend, a cold gazpacho soup. I happen to make a pretty delicious gazpacho. And the best part is there is no cooking involved, just fresh veggies in the food processor. So, in order to beat the heat or at least give it a little competition I highly suggest trying this tangy gazpacho soup that incorporates a green pepper and a granny smith apple to produce a light yet filling summer dinner.



Gazpacho Ingredients
5 large Heirloom Tomatoes, peeled and diced
2 small Cucumbers, peeled and diced
1/2 Green Apple, peeled and diced
1/2 Green Pepper, cleaned and diced
1 Clove of Garlic, diced
3 Tbsp Cider Vinegar
1 cup High Quality Extra Virgin Olive Oil
Salt and Pepper

Garnish
Bunch of Chives, finely chopped
Homemade Croutons (I used a sliced and toasted day-old french baguette)

Gazpacho Directions
Place tomato, cucumber, pepper, apple, and garlic into a food processor and mix well on medium until liquefied. (I had to do this in two batches). Pour soup into a large bowl. Mix in olive oil, vinegar, salt and pepper. Serve immediately or chilled. Garnish with chives and croutons.

Welcome Back Ed's Verdict: Fantastic and refreshing for a hot summer's day! The croutons add delicious texture to the soup. Yum.

No comments:

Post a Comment