Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Grilled Flank Steak with Yogurt Mustard Mashed Potatoes


Some recipes are born out of necessity. My Yogurt Mustard Mashed Potatoes fall into that category. These are mashed potatoes with everything. Cheese, onions, garlic, crackers, and even a little stone ground mustard. I normally use whole milk when I make mashed potatoes, but we had inconveniently ran out, and I didn't realize it until I already had my mixer in my hand. I scoured the fridge... Rice milk- no. Almond milk- maybe. Organic non-fat plain yogurt- hmmm, yes! I had no idea what it would taste like. Thanks to my phone, i checked online and learned that others had successfully accomplished this mash up before. Perfect. My mashed potatoes were saved!

As for the mustard, I felt like adding a little zing to the typically bland spud. Even with the addition of cheese and garlic, mashed potatoes can still fall short of flavorful (especially for my not so potato-loving husband). So I needed something that would add a little pizazz.

I want to note that I did NOT use a regular "hot dog style" bright yellow mustard but a gourmet, "chichi" stone ground mustard. I do think this is an important distinction to make. Unless you want to go a completely different route- "French's Mustard, Grilled Hot Dog Mashed Potatoes" for example- but that takes us down a road I'm not quite sure I'm willing to take. (Maybe with a little sauerkraut?) Ok, only joking (kind of), back to the dinner at hand. Meat and potatoes. Grilled Flank Steak and Yogurt Mustard Mashed Potatoes to be exact. I didn't add anything to the flank steak apart from a little salt and those cool criss cross lines. I served the steak and potatoes with a simple mango salad tossed in lime juice. Easy!


Yogurt Mustard Mashed Potatoes
5-6 medium sized potatoes
1 tsp Garlic
1 Tbsp Stone Ground Mustard
2 stalks of Green Onion
1 cup of Cheese (I used swiss)
1 cup of Plain Yogurt
1/2 cup crushed Crackers (I used whole grain Ritz)
1/4 stick of Butter (yes, Ed, I'm Sorry!)
a drizzle of Olive Oil
Salt and Pepper


Yogurt Mustard Mashed Potatoes Directions
Cut potatoes in cubes and boil in water on the stove top until cubes are soft and break apart easily. Drain water and return to pot. Add yogurt, butter, garlic, mustard, salt and pepper. Mix until you reach your preferred consistency. Stir in the green onions and 3/4 of the cheese. Transfer mashed potatoes to an oven safe dish. Top with the rest of the cheese and all of the crackers. Drizzle with Olive Oil. Bake in the oven at 350 for 15-20 minutes.

Flank Steak Ingredients
Flank Steak
Salt


Flank Steak Directions
Grill steak on a grill pan several minutes on both sides until the meat is how you like it. I prefer well done. Ed's likes it barely seared...


Ed's Verdict: He loved these mashed potatoes! And I am so glad because he is not a huge potato fan, but we got about 20 potatoes in our WGG box this week, so I had to fix them. He was a good sport to let me make mashed potatoes, and I'm glad he ended up really liking them. This recipe is a keeper.

1 comment:

  1. Are you suggesting mash potatoes on a Hot Dog? Because that could be interesting...

    ReplyDelete