Saturday, February 5, 2011

Mexican Squash and Ground Beef Casserole

Butternut squash is a very common occurrence in my Washington Green Grocer's box. Due to it's frequent appearance, I went in search of a fresh and interesting way to prepare it. Butternut squash soup is delicious, but I was looking for something a bit more arresting. We were expecting dinner guests (La Familia Pas), and I didn't want to spend too much time in the kitchen. I did, however, want something that would surpass Chinese take out. I found this fabulous squash and ground beef casserole recipe on food.com, and it fit the bill perfectly.

The recipe is quick and easy. The most difficult part was chopping up the squash. My advice is to use a sharp knife and have a strong man on standby ready to take over just in case. The addition of taco-like spices such as cumin and chili powder give the dish a definite southwestern flare. Once all of the ingredients have been tenderized on the stove top, the casserole is baked in the oven for 15 minutes creating a melted cheesy goodness that caps the dish. I chose to serve this with white rice, homemade guacamole, and tortilla chips. I think it really added to the Mexicaness of the plate.

Growing up in my family, butternut squash was not a regular staple at our dinner table. But as these dulcet, nutty fruits (yes, fruits!) become more common in my kitchen these days (thanks to WGG), I have become more comfortable cooking with it. Butternut squash is a delicious and versatile plant full of vitamins and tastiness. I highly, highly recommend this recipe for you and your family to try!



Ingredients

1 lb Ground Beef
1 Tbsp Oil
1 Butternut Squash, chopped
3 Green Onions, chopped
1 Garlic Clove, minced
1 pint Fresh Tomatoes, diced
1/2 cup Water
1 tsp Chili Powder
1 tsp Cumin
1 tsp paprika
salt and pepper
1 cup Mexican Shredded Cheese
Cilantro as garnish, chopped



Directions

Brown the ground beef in a skillet. Once it has been thoroughly cooked, drain and set aside in a separate dish. In the same skillet, add the oil, squash, onions, and garlic and cook until the squash is tender. Then return the ground beef to the skillet and add in the diced tomatoes, water, and spices. Mix well and then move the mixture to an oven proof casserole dish. Cover with lots of cheese and sprinkle chopped cilantro on top. Cook in the oven at 400 for 15 minutes.



Ed's Verdict: Ed was annoyed that he had to share it, and therefore there were no leftovers.

Guest Verdict from Elise and Aaron: I think they really enjoyed it. Elise said it was really great, and she definitely went back for seconds (therefore see Ed's verdict...)





No comments:

Post a Comment