Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Grilled Tofu with Spinach Mint Lime Rice


So remember last week when I made Vegetable Mai Fun with Asian Molasses Balsamic Vinegar Sauce? Well, molasses/vinegar is quickly becoming my new favorite flavor combination. (And besides, I now have a whole jar of black strap molasses to use!) I have been wanting to grill up some tofu on my new grill pan, and I figured that my new favorite flavor combination would make the perfect marinade. Boy was I was right! Is there anything this sauce can't do? As a side note, if you haven't tried tofu, I highly encourage you to give it a taste. It is a very easy, versatile food that takes on the flavor of whatever it's cooked with. If you don't know where to start- why don't you try the recipe below? Go ahead. It's good for you.

 

Grilled Tofu and Marinade Ingredients
1 14oz pack of extra firm tofu, drained
1 tsp of Garlic, diced
1 tsp of Ginger, paste
3 tbsp Black Strap Molasses
2 tbsp Balsamic Vinegar
salt to taste


Grilled Tofu Directions
Drain the tofu by placing it between two towels. Place a weight on top of the towel to drain more water. Leave it for at least 15 minutes. Once the tofu has been pressed, cut it into slices. In a shallow dish, combine the molasses, balsamic vinegar, garlic, ginger, and salt. Mix well. Add tofu and marinade for at least 30 minutes.

Once you are ready to grill the tofu, its pretty easy. Just add the tofu to the grill and sear it until crispy, about 5-7 minutes on each side. Brush the tofu with extra marinade while cooking.




Spinach Mint Lime Rice Ingredients
2 servings of cooked rice of your choice, I used Basmati
1 bunch of fresh baby spinach
1/2 cup fresh mint, chopped
1 Tbsp Olive Oil
1 Tbsp Lime Juice
Salt

Spinach Mint Lime Rice Directions
Cook the rice as you normally would. Then add the spinach, mint, olive oil, lime juice, and salt. Easy and Yummy!

I served the tofu on top of the rice and squeezed a lime on top of the whole dish.



Ed's Verdict: This time there were no snarky "where's the meat?" comments. He really liked it. He even had seconds. I think the taste surprised him. Make this dish for the meat lover in your life :)




 


No comments:

Post a Comment